Chair in Foreign Policy, University of Edinburgh
Juliet Kaarbo is Professor of International Relations with a Chair in Foreign Policy at the University of Edinburgh. She is founding co-director of Edinburgh’s Centre for Security Research. Julie’s research focuses on leader personality and decision making, group dynamics, foreign policy analysis and theory, parliaments and parties, and national roles and has been published in numerous prestigious journals and presses.
She has served as Associate Editor of the journals Foreign Policy Analysis and British Journal of Politics and International Relations. She was the 2018 Distinguished Scholar of Foreign Policy Analysis in the International Studies Association and was elected as an International Studies Association Vice President for 2022-23.
Press, Clips, Interviews
- ‘What if? Counterfactual Trump and the western response to the war in Ukraine’, with Kai Oppermann & Ryan K Beasley, International Affairs Journal Article, (2023)
- ‘New Directions for Leader Personality Research: Breaking Bad in Foreign Policy,’ International Affairs (2021)
- ‘Brexit Stage Right: Sovereignty and Foreign Policy Roles,’ with Ryan Beasley and Kai Oppermann, Global Studies Quarterly (2021)
- ‘Predictably Unpredictable: Trump’s Personality and Approach Towards China’, with Oliver Turner, Cambridge Review of International Affairs (2021)
- The Oxford Handbook of Political Executives, with Andeweg, Elgie, Helms, & Müller-Rommel (Eds.) Oxford University Press (2020)
- ‘Turkish Leaders and Their Foreign Policy Decision Making Style From a Comparative Perspective: A Multi-Method Approach’, with Esra Cuhadar, Baris Kesgin, & Binnur Ozkececi-Taner, Turkish Studies (2021).
- ‘British Foreign Policy After Brexit: Losing Europe and Finding a Role’, with Kai Oppermann & Ryan Beasley, International Relations (2020).
- ‘Party Politics at the Water’s Edge: Contestation of Military Operations in Europe’, with Wolfgang Wagner, Anna Herranz-Surralles & Falk Ostermann European Political Science Review (2018).
- ‘Casting for a Sovereign Role: Socialising an Aspirant State in the Scottish Independence Referendum,’ with Ryan Beasley, European Journal of International Relations (2018).
- ‘Prime Minister Leadership Style and the Role of Parliament in Security Policy,’ British Journal of Politics and International Relations (2018).
- Domestic Role Contestation, Foreign Policy, and International Relations, Editor, with Cristian Cantir, Routledge (2016).
- ‘A Foreign Policy Analysis Perspective on the Domestic Politics Turn in IR’ International Studies Review (2015).
Written testimony submitted to the Treaty Scrutiny Inquiry, UK House of Lords, July 2020.
Written testimony submitted to the UK House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee’s Inquiry on Global Britain, July 2018.
Invited witness for the UK House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee’s Inquiry on the Foreign Policy Implications of and for a Separate Scotland, London, January 2013.