Past event: The international response to Russia’s war in Ukraine
Organisers: SCGA and the European Policy Centre
Juliet Kaarbo (University of Edinburgh), Stephen Gethins (University of St Andrews), Peter Jackson (University of Glasgow), and David Scott (University of Glasgow) organised this roundtable in collaboration with the European Policy Centre and with the support of the Scottish Government.
Held on 7 December 2022 at Scotland House Brussels, the roundtable brought together representatives from Ukraine, the Baltics, and the international community to discuss the war’s current state of play, the response of the international community, and what more needs to be done.
Our speakers were:
- Martin Johnson: Director, Scotland House Brussels
- Amanda Paul: Senior Policy Analyst, European Policy Centre
- Juliet Kaarbo: Professor of International Relations at the University of Edinburgh and Co-director of the Scottish Council on Global Affairs
- Iryna Yefremova: Ambassador, Deputy Head of the Mission of Ukraine to the EU
- Maria Golub: Policy Advisor, International Center for Ukraine’s Victory
- Richard Holtzapple: Deputy Head of the US Mission to NATO
- Aivo Orav: Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Mission of Estonia to the EU
- David McAllister: Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, European Parliament
- Fabian Zuleeg: Chief Executive and Chief Economist, European Policy Centre
The event featured a wide-ranging discussion of existing military support provided to Ukraine, the development and implementation of sanctions against Russia, and the need for solidarity in the reconstruction efforts that will follow when the war ends.
The event also marked the SCGA’s first time in Brussels, opening the door for future collaboration with the European Policy Centre and other actors in the EU and NATO. The event closed with a drinks reception provided by Scotland House Brussels.